The short answer is an empathetic YES! Unfortunately, most small businesses don’t have one. Why?
- I don’t have enough employees to need one
- Even if you only have a handful of employees you need one
- I treat my employees well
- ‘Well’ is a subjective term; what you think is good may be perceived differently by an employee
- My employees would never file a claim against me
- Not true – unfortunately you’ll eventually have a disgruntled employee
What exactly is an employee handbook? It’s a living document for policies, procedures and working conditions. It is for the benefit of both the employee and employer to create an environment where people know the expectations in the day-to-day workplace. It’s also an extremely useful tool for an employer as it encourages thoughtful evaluation to create the standards for the company – this avoids inadvertently creating a past practice that the employer can be stuck with. It can also help protect you from lawsuits, such as claims for harassment, wrongful termination and discrimination.
What is included in an employee handbook?
- Employment relationship including Classification, Hours of Work, Meal & Rest periods, Overtime, Performance Management and Pay
- Workplace guidelines including Attendance, Job Performance, Discipline and Social Media use
- Time off including Holidays, Vacation, Sick Leave and Family Leave
- Benefits including Medical, Dental and Vision, Life Insurance, Disability, Workers’ Compensation and Retirement plans
- Conflicts of Interest and Confidential Information
Creating an Employee Handbook is not as arduous as you might think and Metzano can provide a cost-effective solution. Contact us at Pamela@Metzano.com for a complimentary evaluation.